For the meatballs:
500g minced beef
2 slices of bread
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp chopped parsley
50g grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp grated nutmeg
pepper and salt to taste
For the sauce:
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 small green pepper, chopped finely
1/2 tsp saffron or food colourant
2 tablespoons tomato puree/ concentrate
1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 Oxo cube (beef)
3 small carrots peeled and finely sliced
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the minced beef in a bowl. Add the grated cheese, parsley, nutmeg, salt, pepper and beaten egg.
2. In a separate bowl place the 2 slices of bread and cover with milk. Remove the bread and squeeze out all the liquid. Place in the first bowl with the other ingredients. Knead well.
3. Take small amounts of the mixture and form into small balls in the palms your hands.
4. Roll them in the flour. Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow fry until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
5. In a deep pan fry the chopped onion and the green pepper until golden and softened. Add the tomato puree and fry for another minute.
6. Dissolve the oxo cube in a mug of boiling water and add to the pan.
7. Add the saffron, bay leaves, chopped tomatoes, carrots, peas, potatoes and garlic. Bring to the boil.
8. Turn the heat down and add the meatballs. Allow to simmer for a further 25 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
Children absolutely love it if served with a side dish of grated cheese for them to scatter over the steaming meatballs. Buen provecho.